We are currently looking to recruit an experienced Wood Machinist to join our busy manufacturing team. As a Wood Machinist with experience of panel processing, you will be required to safely operate wood machining equipment to satisfactory standards of workmanship at defined levels of output and to the agreed quality and hygiene requirements. We continue to invest in state of the art CNC machinery, so you should be willing to develop your skills and be trained on a range of new equipment.
As a Wood Machinist your duties and responsibilities will be:
- Being responsible for setting and operating machines to produce product with consistent results that is within specification and to acceptable levels of quality.
- Correctly read drawings, use measuring equipment to measure dimensions and to maintain high standards of workmanship.
- Correctly recording details of activities performed, stock control and production control information, on paper and on the manufacturing computer system (SAP).
- Using computer software to programme computer numerical controlled (CNC) machines.
- Identify and highlight to supervision process faults, errors and non-conformities.
- Undertake assembly, packing, cleaning and all machining and operating duties in the plant as the need arises.
- Understanding the risks, control measures and safety devices for the equipment operated and surrounding areas.
- Maintaining consistent satisfactory levels of housekeeping.
- Conforming with all safety standards and use of appropriate PPE at all times.
- Generate, agree and implement new initiatives that result in continuous improvements.
- Help to train and mentor colleagues and to undertake training activities as directed by line management.
- Perform simple machine cleaning and maintenance duties.
An ideal Wood Machinist will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Understanding of the principles of wood machining
- Numerate with basic literacy and written communication skills
- Ability to set and/or programme machines, including CNC machinery, to consistently produce work to specifications and targets
- Proven experience and knowledge of operating wood or panel processing machines, ideally within the kitchen furniture or allied industries
- Ability to read engineering drawings
- Understanding of Health and Safety issues, particularly in relation to wood working / processing machinery
- Able to undertake physically demanding tasks, e.g. manual handling, standing for long periods.
- Ability to use own initiative and receive and follow instructions
- Basic computer literacy
- A qualification in Wood Machining, e.g. NVQ, City & Guilds or similar and experience of using SAP would also be desirable
Rotating Shift Pattern:
- 06:00 – 14:30 Monday to Thursday, 06:00 – 12:00 Friday
- 14:00 – 00:00 Monday to Thursday
For the right individual, we are offering between £10.08 per hour and £12.30 per hour (40 hours per week) dependent on machining skill set/multi-skilled capabilities, plus shift allowance.
Independent means of transport are required due to start and finish times, within a commutable distance of Thorne.
Additional benefits include:
- Company bonus scheme –2019 scheme potential to earn max of £1,835 in a full year (paid pro-rata to rules/start date)
- 23 days holiday rising to 25 after 5 years, and increase up to 29 days with service, plus 8 public holidays
- Life assurance – 4x basic salary
- Free on-site parking
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Staff discount/staff sales – eg own kitchen = trade price less 20%
- Pension 4.5% of basic salary matched, with salary sacrifice scheme
Apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" button to send us your CV or other information relevant to your application or email us direct at firstname.lastname@example.org.